A classic Italian summer salad featuring our tomatoes from West Sussex; perfect to use up left over bread that deliciously soaks up the juicy garlic and lemon olive oil dressing.
Ingredients for 4 as a side salad
1kg tomatoes - we have a great selection of colourful locally grown tomatoes
4 slices of stale bread - the staler the better
25g olives, halved. Black olives are preferable
10 tbsp olive oil
½ clove garlic, roughly chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
- Turn oven on to 180 degrees
- Tear bread into small rough chunks and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt. Heat in the oven for 15 minutes until toasted
- Slice the tomatoes into rough mouthsize chunks and place in a bowl together with the olives and capers.
- Finely slice the basil and add into the tomatoes together with the lemon juice, 5tbsp olive oil, garlic and rocket
- Toss together and season to taste.
Did you know that we throw away almost 24 million slices of bread every single day just in the UK! This is a brilliant way to use up that last bit at the bottom of your bread bin, with very few ingredients to have on the side with your BBQ or as a light lunch.